Click here to listen to Rev. Duke Tufty describe Unity's Five Truth Principles. We encourage people to explore and apply Unity teachings based on their own spiritual understanding. We believe this spiritual understanding is enhanced through affirmative prayer and meditation. The five basic ideas that make up the Unity belief system are:
- There is one power and one presence in the universe, God, the life force of all being
- The Spirit of God lives within each person; therefore, all people are inherently good.
- We create our life experiences through our way of thinking.
- Through the power of affirmative prayer and meditation, we deepen our understanding of Spirit.
- Knowledge of these Spiritual Principles is not enough. We each need to put them into practice in our daily lives.
On an Evolutionary Path by Rev. Duke Tufty
“…I grew up in a very fundamental church and upon reaching the third grade I was given a “Book of Prayer” which dogmatically asserted the theology of that religion….I quote, ‘O thou great God, who art just and holy, I, thy sinful, unclean creature, come before thee in deep humility, confessing my many sins and my total unworthiness….' Hearing this as a 7-year-old was quite confusing. I was left with a sense of unworthiness, shame and guilt over the death of Jesus to the point he became the enemy….Through Unity I was taught that the Jesus was an example to follow and not an exception beyond human potential. Over time…he uplifted me to a beautiful new awareness of beholding the Christ in all people…”
Rev. Tufty is senior minister at Unity Temple on the Plaza in Kansas City, Mo., and served as chair of the Board of Unity School of Christianity from 2001 - 2010.